At A Glance
The phrase “location independent” refers to the ability to be able to live and work from anywhere you choose. That could be from the comfort of your own home, a coffee shop down the road or a beach bar halfway around the world. The ability to be location independent is usually underpinned by a business run via the internet. There is a growing community of location independent people – enabled & supported by the work we do here at the Location Independent network.
The term “location independent” was first coined by Lea Woodward to describe the lifestyle she & her husband, Jonathan, inadvertently created for themselves when they left the UK in early 2007, to search for their new “home” somewhere other than the UK.
Supported by a business they could run on the internet, they first headed to Panama. Realising that they could go wherever the mood took them – and that they weren’t yet ready to settle down in one place, they have so far lived & run their business from Buenos Aires, Toronto, Grenada, South Africa, Dubai, HK and Thailand.
Having realised the joys, challenges and benefits of this lifestyle, they started a blog – www.LocationIndependent.com – to chronicle their experiences and share them with anyone else who wants to create a location independent lifestyle.
We are happy to answer questions and can talk confidently on the following topics:
- Online technology & cloud computing
- Running a business from anywhere
- Running an online business
- Permanent travel & nomadism
- Family travel
- Running a husband-and-wife business
- Working from home
Please get in touch if you have any questions you’d like us to answer. We can usually respond within 24 hours.
We’ve been interviewed, featured and mentioned in a number of global media outlets over the past few years, including:
- Financial Times ~ Nomads of the working world.
- BBC Click ~ Technology allows digital nomads to work anywhere.
- BBC Fast:Track ~ Best Of The Web.
- The Guardian, Travel, UK ~ The escapees travelling the world while working online.
- The Guardian, Life & Style, UK ~ This column will change your life: 9-to-5 or free and easy?
- La Repubblica, Italy ~ Profiled here and Bauman, un mondo senza regole: “senza la solidarietà, la libertà è un’illusione”.
- China Trends magazine, China ~ See the article here.
- Cosmopolitan magazine, Italy & Sweden ~ See the Swedish article here.
- The Sydney Morning Herald & The Daily Telegraph, Australia ~ Australia’s Online Work Revolution.
We’ve also been featured in a number of books including:
- Escape from Cubicle Nation by Pamela Slim
- Screw Work, Let’s Play by John S. Williams
- The 9-to-5 Cure by Kristin Cardinale
- She Takes on the World: A Guide to Being Your Own Boss, Working Happy, and Living on Purpose by Natalie MacNeil
We’ve spoken – virtually – about the concept of location independence and online business to audiences globally including:
- At the Freshmen Seminar, American College of Management and Technology, Dubrovnik on “The skills that open up doors & opportunities in today’s world”.
- At Hult International Business School, Dubai campus for the “Pocket MBA for Women Who Aspire to Lead” Program.
We’ve also been featured, interviewed, listed or profiled in many online media outlets, including:
- Forbes Woman
- Huffington Post
- Web Worker Daily
- Freelance Switch
Help Spread The Word
If you’d like to help us spread the word about the concept of location independence and the work we’re doing to enable more people to join us, please get in touch.
We’re available for interviews, documentaries and features in both online and offline publications. Just drop us a line by email and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.